High BP is the number one cause of avoidable deaths worldwide.
10 million people die each year needlessly from Hypertension(HT) worldwide.
1out of 3 in urban and 1 out of 4 in rural folks suffer from High Blood Pressure & unfortunately are not even aware of it.
No wonder HT is labeled as a silent killer leading to heart attacks, paralytic strokes, renal failure, blindness, dementia & sexual inadequacy.
Are you at risk?
There is only one way of knowing it. Yes, measure your BP periodically. More so as you age, if you have family history & have diabetes. A simple BP measurement can save many lives.
As a kidney specialist, I am worried, high BP is the second most common cause of kidney failure after diabetes & most importantly it is preventable & correctable by the following simple life style measures.
According to 2017 international guidelines:
- Consume not more than 1 tsp of salt per day.
- Stop smoking and all forms of tobacco consumption.
- Exercise for 30 min/day.
- Keep your weight near ideal body weight.
If your BP is >130/80, you have high BP & you must start lifestyle modification urgently.
Beyond 140/90, you will need medication from your doctor over & above lifestyle modification.
- • Check your BP regularly.
- • Keep it down to below 130/80.
- • Ek Chammach Kum salt, sugar and oil will prevent & control BP, diabetes, obesity & thereby heart disease, stroke & kidney failure.
- • Join our Ek Chammach Kam Campaign today.
By Dr. Umesh Khanna
Chairman, Mumbai Kidney Foundation
Trustee, Sapiens Health Foundation
Secondary, Amar Gandhi Foundation